Saturday, May 28, 2016

Awareness, Consciousness, and Buddha Nature


There has been a recent buzz questioning if insects possess consciousness. This is a classic example of the confusion made inevitable when we do not differentiate between consciousness and awareness.

Awareness is the ultimate property of life, and the ultimate truth of Self. Awareness could be thought of as composing what religionist call the "Spirit". Consciousness is the result of awareness inhabiting a nervous system, and varies with the mechanical capabilities thereof. Consciousness could be thought of as comprising the realm of the "Soul".

As to whether or not insects have consciousness I will relate a personal anecdote.

Once, years ago, I came down from the sleeping loft to find that the huge black wood ant so common around here had discovered the honey-bowl. The bowl was very nice porcelain, hand thrown by a friend, and had a notched lid for the cherrywood honey dipper (all broken and discarded long ago). Well anyway, I came down that morning to find a steady line of very large black ants climbing the side of the bowl, slipping through the dipper notch, and getting after the honey. I opened the bowl to find about a half inch of ants flailing in the upper reaches of the honey like sabertooth tigers in a tar pit. My first thought was "Damn, now I'll have to throw the honey out." My second thought was that since the ants were a nuisance and since they were exterminating themselves why not let them have at it. That is what I did. I left the honey bowl untouched on the counter and went on about my business.

The following morning I came down from the sleeping loft to find a ring of ants surrounding the honey-bowl. Like a ring, shoulder to shoulder, of tundra musk ox defending their young: all were facing out.



Does a dog have Buddha Nature?








No comments: